Back on March 11 I ended the Content Distribution Network experiment with Cloudflare. However, the reason I entered into that experiment still existed – performance of the website, and fear of having my Hostgator shared hosting account suspended for overuse (“abuse” is what they call it; but they don’t provide a way of predicting when we’re getting close to that “abuse” level.) Today Twitter friend Steve Creek had his Hostgator shared hosting account suspended for this very reason – caused by the site’s popularity. Twitter friend Adam Jack had previously mentioned that he was looking at Amazon’s Cloudfront service, so I had taken a look at it and it seemed usable. I made some changes today.
As mentioned in a previous post, I started using Cloudflare Content Distribution Network on Feb 3 in the hope of getting improved performance, and to lower the load on my hosting account. I’m calling this a failed experiment.
I’ve been concerned about a couple of potential issues as the audience for USWildflowers.com grows, and while the jury is still out on the effectiveness, I hope they’ll be helped a bit by using a CDN – Content Distribution Network. I doubt this will interest most folks reading this journal, but I want to get it down “on paper” as a record of when and why.